In 1856, German Catholic immigrants built a small log church near the Crow River, about three miles east of our present location. In those early pioneer years, St. Michael Catholic Church and other churches in the northern and central areas of Minnesota received the services of the Benedictine priests from St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville. St. Michael had this support for about 15 years.
In 1866, a new church was built in the heart of the present city of St. Michael, on the northeast corner of the main intersection. This white, wooden structure provided worship space for parishioners for nearly 25 years. In that time it suffered a serious fire, but was repaired.
In 1890, at the strong encouragement of the new pastor, Rev. Rudolph Duesterman, our historic church was built. At the time, this Gothic church was the largest in Wright County, and it has a long history of sacred events. The parish also has a praiseworthy reputation of producing a great number of vocations to the priesthood and religious life St. Michael retained its German Catholic character for many years. However, since 1985, the number of families in the community has essentially doubled, and it can no longer be characterized as an ethnic parish. In order to accommodate the growing community, a new church was built in 2004.
St. Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:30, "You are part of a building that has apostles and prophets for its cornerstone...a house where God lives in the spirit." The people are the true "church" of St. Michael, more important than any building. With their involvement and the offering of their gifts, time, and talent, the "body of Christ" in our area continues to grow and flourish.