Spring 2021 Sports
Seventh- and eighth-grade students at St. Michael Catholic School are eligible to participate in sports through St. Michael-Albertville (STMA) Schools.
This year STMA will be offering sports, however it will look differently than previous years! Please check the STMA middle school websites to learn more about their spring season.
If you have any questions about Spring Sports please contact either:
Middle School West-Ryan Antony Middle School East-Molly Schleicher
763-497-4524 EXT 94124 763-497-2655 EXT 93003
If you have any questions from now until the end of the school year regarding superivision or transportation, please contact Sharon House at [email protected] Thanks
* 6th Graders can participate in some Community Education Programs such as weightlifting and ski club. Please check out the Comm. Ed website for more information.
Sports Physicals - StMCS can't enter the form online so physicals should be dropped off at or mailed to the designated school.
In order to register for a sport you will need to have physical on file for your son or daughter at the Middle School that they would be playing at if attending public school. Physicals are good for three years, so most incoming 8th graders that played sports last year have a physical on file. The Minnesota State High School league requires participants in interscholastic sports to have a physical examination every three years. If your son/daughter decides to participate in interscholastic athletics this year, a physical examination is required before they may register or practice. Physicals may be performed by your medical doctor or a doctor of chiropractic (good for three years). Please visit the STMA Activities website for more information.
Register for Sports
To register please use the school website below. Please register at which school your child would attend if not at the catholic school. Out of district families, please contact a Activities Director to find out which school you should register with.
Additional Sports information can be found on the STMA middle level websites.
Sports Supervision & Transportation
Since the beginning of our 5-8 middle level program, we have proudly provided free after school supervision and transportation for students participating in activities through STMA schools. We are committed to continuing this tradition and valuable service for our families. PLEASE NOTE that in order to use this service you must be pre-registered. If you do not know which group your child will be with or which school please still register. We will be in contact with STMA the first week of school, so we can get that information from them at that time.
After several variations of what the supervised time has looked like in the past, and upon receiving feedback from families, we are creating a space that will be dedicated to homework. Students utilizing this service will follow the schedule outline below:
1:55 – 2:10 Check In/Snack
2:10 – 2:47 Supervised Mandatory Study Hall / Change clothes for practice (at this time students will need to wear masks)
2:47 – 2:50 Pack Up / Dismissed to Buses
As indicated in the schedule, the supervised time is designed as a structured study hall, not a free choice time. If students do not have homework, they may draw or read quietly during this time. With the exception of computers for those completing homework online, no electronics will be allowed. Staff supervising are not responsible for checking homework, making sure homework is complete, or working one on one with students. Staff will do their best to help answer homework questions students may have. Students will not be scheduled to go outside or to the gym during this brief time.
Students are normally picked up about 2:50 from StMCS and arrive no later than 3:00 at each middle school. The busses that pick up our students are making a stop between their elementary school and secondary routes so this does not allow busses to come early for games. This means that, depending on game schedules, we may not always be able to transport your athlete to the middle school before a team bus leaves. On these days, students will need to arrange a ride instead of taking the activity bus. In the past, when students have needed to be to the middle school earlier than 3:00 pm, many families from StMCS have worked out car-pooling amongst themselves. The best way to know when the bus leaves is to check-in with your child or a coach as StMCS does not have that information at hand.
You can also set up reminders for events and notifications of schedule changes. To do this go to www.stma.k12.mn.us and under activities select High School. Scroll down the page and select “Weekly Activity Schedule”. At the very top of this page you will find Notify Me!, click on this and you will be able to select the activities for which you would like notices. You may receive notices by e-mail, text or both. This is a great way to know when an event is canceled due to weather.
Finally, it can be difficult with weather and sports. From past experience, we have found that we usually receive word if a practice and/or game is cancelled very close to the end of our day. Please make a plan with your child for what to do if their game or practice is cancelled (take bus home, call for a ride, walk, etc.).
Supervision and transportation is a privilege; students are not required to stay after school. Behavior expectations from 1:55-until the start of practice at their assigned location are the same as during the school day. If a student does not follow our rules of being safe, welcoming, and respectful, or the rules of the partner school, they are subject to the following consequences:
First Offense: Email to parent/guardian
Second Offense: Phone call to parent/guardian and loss of supervision/transportation for some time.
Third Offense: Suspended from supervision/transportation for 2 weeks or until the end of the season, whichever is longer. Two week suspension would carry over into the next activity, if applicable. (The student would be welcome to sign up for transportation/supervision the following season, but a parent meeting with the School Programs Director would be required before the start of that season.)
At anytime, if warranted, StMCS staff may partner with STMA in resolving discipline matters. Depending on the severity or frequency of misbehavior, we reserve the right to suspend or dismiss a child from the program at any time.
|To sign up for this service, our supervision/transportation request form can be found online at: https://form.jotform.com/201473916732153|
- Complete the online supervision/transportation form every time you register for an activity. The form is only valid for one activity.
- Parents (or students) must contact the School Programs Director at least 1 day in advance if a practice/game has been changed to a day your child is not normally scheduled to use the service. (The reason for this is that staff is scheduled based on the daily number of participants. Therefore, if a student stays without advance notice on a day they were not scheduled, they will need to call a parent/guardian to be picked up.)
- If your child leaves during the school day and does not return to school before the end of the school day or they don't sign in at check in time with Sports Supervisors by 2:00 they will not be able to participate in the Supervision and Transportation bus that day. Parents are able drop their child off at the designated middle schools for practice at 3:00 as long they have followed the sports participation policy regarding the amount of time they needed to be at school for the day.
- We do our best to notify students/families as soon as practices or games are cancelled. Please check the STMA activities website as this is the first place the activities directors post information when changes happen. Please do not call the STMA offices, StMCS or the parish.
- Eligibility to play sports for StMCS students is the same as STMA policies. You can find our policy in your child’s planner.