Daily Update for Thursday, April 2
Apr 2, 2020
Thank you for your continued generosity while Mass is temporarily suspended. A special shout out to those who’ve taken time to mail or drop off envelopes, and those who’ve taken advantage of our online giving option. Your support is critical to the continued operations of the parish at this most challenging time. We’ll be putting out a financial update next week that provides a summary of how we’re holding up with the restrictions on Mass. Please know we are working diligently to control expenses so we maintain our sound financial condition. Unfortunately, this meant furloughing a number of our dedicated staff members at the church and the school this week. As furloughed employees their benefits will remain intact, and they will be eligible to return to their positions once we return to normal operations. Please keep them and their families in your prayers.
We are blessed to have dedicated parishioners and staff at such a difficult time. We’re looking forward to the time when we can come together again as a parish family.
David Ferry, parish administrator
Palm Sunday and Holy Week Liturgies
Unfortunately we are not yet in a position to gather in person for the Mass. As a result, Palm Sunday and Holy Week Masses and services will be livestreamed from the link on our parish homepage, stmcatholicchurch.org.
- Palm Sunday Masses will be streamed like a regular Sunday Mass, without the Palm Procession into the worship space—however, we will be outside, with gloves on, distributing blessed palms to those who would like to receive them after each scheduled Mass. Please stay in your cars and follow the signs, and feel free to drop of your offertory envelopes at these times.
- 5 PM Mass on Saturday, April 4: Palms distributed after Mass until 7 PM
- 8 AM Mass on Sunday, April 5: Palms distributed after Mass until 10 AM
- 10:30 AM Mass on Sunday, April 5: Palms distributed after Mass until 12:30 PM
- 6 PM Mass on Sunday, April 4: Palms distributed after Mass until 8 PM
- Holy Week liturgies are still being planned. More details will be shared early next week, but in the meantime, please mark your calendars:
- Holy Thursday Mass on April 9: 7:30 PM livestream
- Good Friday Service on April 10: 3 PM livestream
- Holy Saturday Easter Vigil Mass on April 11: 8:30 PM livestream (no 5 PM Mass)
- Easter Sunday Masses on April 12: 8:30 and 10:30 AM livestreams (no 6 PM Mass)
Please note: As with every Holy Week, Perpetual Adoration will continue until Holy Thursday at 6 PM, then will cease until Easter Monday. We will have Adoration of the Lord in the tabernacle (no second altar this year) via livestream or in person using current safety protocols until 11 PM Thursday. After that, the church will be closed to Adoration until Monday morning, and the livestream will only be active during the liturgies listed above. Please watch these updates for details in the coming days.
St. Michael Catholic School Principal Jenny Haller issued a new Distance Learning Update to families yesterday, including information on borrowing devices for home use. Read it at conta.cc/344SA52.
Sacraments and Prayer
First Saturday Mass. Join us for the livestream of our monthly First Saturday Mass in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary this Saturday, April 4, at 8 AM. The livestream link can be found on our homepage, stmcatholicchurch.org.
Livestreamed Masses, Rosaries, Adoration and Stations of the Cross. All scheduled weekend Masses as well as Perpetual Adoration will be livestreamed from our homepage, stmcatholicchurch.org, as well as Stations of the Cross Tuesdays at 1 PM and Fridays at 7 PM. We are also livestreaming our regular schedule of rosaries: after daily Mass on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays; Tuesdays at 6 PM; Saturdays at 4:30 PM; and Sundays at 7:30 AM.
Confessions Schedule. Confessions continue in the St. Michael Catholic Church parking lot—please drive in and follow the signs and cones. Scheduled Confession times at St. Michael are as follows:
- Friday, April 3, 6 PM
- Saturday, April 4, 7:30 AM-7:45 AM; 8:30-9 AM and 3:30 PM
- Sunday, April 5, 9:30 AM
- Monday, April 6, 7 PM
- Tuesday, April 7, 5:15 PM
The last opportunity for confession prior to Easter Sunday is Tuesday, April 7, 5:15 to 6:15 PM. There will be no confessions Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday.
Study and Formation
Tentative New Dates for First Communion
- First Communion Practice for Faith Formation families is planned for Saturday, June 6, at 9 AM.
- First Communion Mass for Faith Formation families is planned for Sunday, June 7, at 1:30 PM.
- First Communion Mass for St. Michael Catholic School (StMCS) families is planned for the 5 PM Mass on Saturday, June 6.
- We do not have new dates for First Reconciliation at this time, but are planning for all First Communicants to make their first confessions prior to the weekend of June 6-7.
Free e-Conferences This Weekend. Free online conferences for men and women, featuring outstanding Catholic speakers from across the country, are scheduled this Friday through Sunday. Register online for free at virtualcatholicconference.com.
Online Holy Week Retreat. The Archdiocese is inviting all the faithful to participate in a free, week-long, virtual Holy Week Retreat beginning Palm Sunday, April 5, and culminating with the Easter Vigil Mass from the Cathedral of Saint Paul on April 11. Details are available on the Archdiocese Holy Week webpage, archspm.org/holyweek/.
Giving and Service
Lenten Charity. This Lenten season has provided countless opportunity for prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Please do not forget our parish ministries in the coming weeks. The needs are great, especially without a regular Sunday collection. Mail in or drop off your envelope, complete an electronic funds transfer (EFT) form for automatic withdrawal, or donate online using the Virtual Offertory button on our homepage, stmcatholicchurch.org. God bless you!
Sharing and Caring Hands Dropoff Box Closed. We have closed the Sharing and Caring donation box until further notice as a public health precaution. For information on how you can help Sharing and Caring Hands during the outbreak, visit sharingandcaringhands.org.