Fully accredited through MNSAA, St. Michael Catholic School is a K-8 school with a vibrant preschool program, located 35 miles northwest of the Twin Cities. Student enrollment is 460, PreK-8. Our 20 classroom teachers work closely with full-time specialists in physical education, music, technology, and Spanish. We aspire to model our mission of "Living for Christ and Learning for Life", each and every day.
Immediate Opening for Head Cook
StMCS is seeking a full-time head cook to lead our kitchen team and school lunch program with enthusiasm and professionalism while carrying out the responsibilities of a “School Nutrition Director” according to standards set forth by the USDA and Minnesota Department of Education. The head cook is directly responsible for the management of the day-to-day operations of the school food service program.
FT - Approx. 35 hrs/week, 9 ½ mo/year with occasional summer days. Benefits offered. Hours are basically 6:30 am - 1:30 pm with expectation to arrive early or stay late on occasion.
Position start date to be negotiated with new hire.
Minimum professional standards for school nutrition professionals est. by USDA are expected. Eligible candidates for this position must have one of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent education, with an academic major in a specific area .
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent education, with any academic major or area of concentration, and either a School Nutrition Association (SNA) Level 3 Certification or at least one year of relevant food service experience .
- Associate’s degree or equivalent education, with an academic major in a specific area and one year of relevant food service experience .
- HS diploma or GED and a minimum of three years of relevant food service experience.
 Specific academic majors include: Food and Nutrition, Food Service Management, Dietetics, Family and Consumer Science, Nutrition Education, Culinary Arts and Business. [2-3] Relevant food service experience may include managing food service operations at a healthcare facility, restaurant, civic/community organization, or other type of establishment; this may include documented volunteer or unpaid relevant food service experience.
Note: As a school with less than 500 students, if we have difficulty finding candidates who meet these experience requirements, we may be able to hire a new director with less relevant food service experience than required. We will work with the MN Dept of Education (MDE) Food and Nutrition Service in this situation.
Candidates must have:
Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) certificate which fulfills the food safety training requirement (8 hours of food safety training) or have the ability to obtain certification within 30 days of hiring.
Ability to meet physical demands: frequent walking, standing, sitting, bending, and repetitive motions, lifting up to 40-50 pounds and/or exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Ideal candidates will have:
Institutional food service experience (300+ meals per day) or comparable experience and the experience or ability to:
- Provide general management of a kitchen (program evaluation, planning, administration, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation)
- Do menu planning, food and supply ordering
- Prepare and serve food in a fast-paced environment while following safety rules
- Schedule, direct, and supervise food service employees
- Hold regular meetings with kitchen personnel
- Design and manage a food service budget in collaboration with administration
- Maintain records in accordance with food service expectations
- Manage all aspects of program accountability (i.e. preparing for audits)
- Maintain an organized and sanitary kitchen and storage area
- Identify facility and equipment needs for kitchen then coordinate acquisition of goods/ services based on budget
- Use strong oral and/or written communication skills in all interactions
- Use basic computer skills - email, internet, placing orders, etc.
- Be a team player
- Exhibit a positive attitude and a strong work ethic
- Build a cohesive team and collaborative culture in and outside of the kitchen
Email school principal, Jennifer Haller at [email protected] with:
- Statement of interest and how you meet the job requirements, skills and experience
- Application (click here)
- Any applicable credentials (i.e. resume, college transcripts, education information, documentation of food safety training, SNA Level 3 Certification, etc.)
Position will remain open until filled.
St. Michael Catholic School is seeking a PTparaprofessional to assist in classrooms and provide supervision on the playground and in the cafeteria. Hours are M-TH 7:30-12:30 and Friday 9:00-1:00.
Responsibilities vary from working 1:1 with students or in small groups to supervising large groups of children in the lunchroom and on the playground (year-round). Completing various classroom tasks to support teachers is also expected.
Qualified candidates will possess strong communication skills, basic technology skills, high standards for student behavior, and the ability to problem-solve with children in a developmentally appropriate manner consistent with our Catholic school mission. The ideal candidate must be a team player, self-directed, a quick problem-solver, and easily adaptable to a variety of situations. Experience working in schools is preferred but not essential.
Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to Jenny Haller, Principal, at [email protected]
The position will remain open until filled.
We are seeking licensed, flexible teachers ready to be on-call on a regular basis for Grades Preschool and K-8, all subject areas. Daily substitute rate is $110. Substitutes are required to complete a background check and attend a free, 3-hour training called VIRTUS, sponsored by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
Qualified applicants may specify days available, preferred grades and/or subjects they are willing to teach.
Send letter of interest, resume, license, and three letters of reference to Jennifer Haller, Principal. Information will be accepted via email at [email protected] .
If you are interested in being on our preschool substitute teacher list, please contact Kate Bredeck at 763-515-3931 or [email protected]. Thank you!
Para Professional Substitute
St. Michael Catholic School is accepting applications for substitutes for part-time para-professionals to assist in classrooms, on the playground and in the cafeteria. Hours are generally 7:30-12:30 Monday-Thursday and 8:45-1:45 on Friday. Sub days for paras are generally scheduled in advance of the day needed.
Responsibilities vary greatly from working one-on-one with students to supervising large groups of children in the lunchroom and on the playground (year-round), and conducting various light office/classroom tasks.
Qualified candidates will possess strong communication skills, basic technology skills, high standards for student behavior and the ability to problem solve with children in a developmentally appropriate manner consistent with our Catholic school mission. The ideal candidate must be a team player, self-directed, a quick problem solver, and easily adaptable to a variety of situations. Experience working in schools is preferred.
Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to Jennifer Haller, Principal, at [email protected]
The position will remain open until filled.