Our parish thrives because of volunteers like you! St. Michael Catholic Church is united with the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis in our commitment to providing a safe environment for all parishioners, including children, teens, and vulnerable adults. As part of this commitment, all new volunteers who work with children, teens, or vulnerable adults are required to submit a Volunteer Application & Information Form and meet the Essential Three Safe Environment requirements before volunteering.
Complete instructions are below. If you have questions about the process or requirements, please contact the appropriate safe environment coordinator:
St. Michael Catholic Church
497-2745, ext 241
Any new volunteer who works with children, teens, or vulnerable adults needs to have the Archdiocese-required Volunteer Application & Information Form and the Essential Three requirements (background check, signed code of conduct, and VIRTUS training) on file before volunteering. If you are a first-time school volunteer, please go to the Volunteer at School webpage.
- Print and complete the Volunteer Application and Information Form. It will need to be submitted to the parish or school office, depending on where you will be volunteering most.
- Complete a criminal background check. Most paperwork is completed and signed online. For first-time background checks only, Form 123B must be printed, signed, and turned in to the office.
- Watch the online code of conduct video, complete the online mandatory reporting training, and electronically sign and date the online Code of Conduct for volunteers.
- Attend a three-hour, in-person VIRTUS training session (anywhere in the Archdiocese; St. Michael Catholic Church hosts VIRTUS training a few times a year).
Current or Past Volunteers
Past volunteers who have already completed the Essential Three are now required to renew these items every three years. VIRTUS recertification involves watching an online video (20-30 minutes) and taking a simple quiz. It does not require retaking the three-hour, in-person course. You can complete your background recheck paperwork online as well. You will be asked to watch a new code of conduct video and complete a mandatory reporter training presentation in addition to signing the new Code of Conduct online
To renew your “Essential Three” requirements as a current or past volunteer, follow the instructions below.
- Go to Virtus.org and log in with your original User ID and password. If you do not remember your User ID or cannot retrieve your password, contact your Safe Environment Coordinator, above, and he or she can help you. Please do not create a new account!
- Once you are logged in, click the Toolbox tab.
- You should see several links highlighted in yellow. Click each link and complete each item.
- Please take this opportunity to update your account information. If you completed your VIRTUS training as a volunteer for another parish or school, please change your Primary Location to "St. Michael (St. Michael)" to ensure that your background check is processed correctly.
Thank you for volunteering at St. Michael Catholic Church. We know that this is a big commitment on your part, and we are grateful you are living for Christ!